cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ricardo Rocha <rica...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XObject
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:31:09 GMT

Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> Object name: +/-0 (I'd prefer XMLFragment, but I'm easy on it)
> Still not happy with name Ricardo?

A bit of history: XObject originally meant "an object capable
of generating an XML representation of itself".

The idea was to provide a toDOM() method with semantics similar
to those of Object.toString().

Its use in XSP (as the result of an <xsp:expr>, in particular)
was to inline the Node returned by toDOM() in the corresponding
document position.

In SAX, the same effect can be achieved by passing the XSP page's
content handler as argumento the toSAX() method. This is not yet
implemented.

Methods for handling <xsp:expr> were mistakenly omitted from XSP
for C2. They must be included, of course, to enable the use of
XObject's new incarnation.

The name "XObject" is also used by Xalan, so it's a good idea to
avoid using it here.

If we agree on the more general semantics of "able to generate an
XML representation of itself", the name "XSPObject" is probably too
XSP-centric.

It's accurate to say that such an object generates an XMLFragment,
but this does not seem to reflect the above mentioned semantics...

Not that I suggest an ugly name like "XMLizable", but we should
probably delve deeper...