cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/lib servlet_2_3.jar servlet_2_2.jar
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 03:50:00 GMT
dims@locus.apache.org wrote:

> dims        00/12/01 16:25:43
>
>   Added:       lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_3.jar
>   Removed:     lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_2.jar
>   Log:
>   Moving to Servlet 2.3

I didn't catch the vote to move to 2.3 at this time, is that
what we are doing?

I would have to seriously -1 this if it breaks compatibility
with Servlet 2.2!

We need Cocoon _with_ sitemap (aka Cocoon 2) to work with
currently available Servlet engines.  I absolutely do _NOT_
want to fork code to maintain Servlet 2.2 compliance.  Our
company is committed to making Cocoon work--it is a pivotal
piece of some intranet applications we are building, and
the J2EE container that our customer has chosen (IBM WebSphere)
requires a service pack to get it to Servlet 2.2 compliance.
I shudder to think how long it would take for IBM to catch
up to a standard that to my knowledge is not even released
yet!

What do we hope to gain by this IMNSHO premature move?  We
should stick to _released_ standards compliance that there
is support for, and only innovate standards when there are
none that are workable (i.e. XSP vs. JSP).  I am not sure
what technical advantage Servlet 2.3 gives us over Servlet 2.2.