cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [C2] Memory consumption
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:09:45 GMT
* Schmitt, Christian (Christian.Schmitt@Dresdner-Bank.com) wrote :
> After looking at the log file I found the following:
>
> 2000-12-20 16:34:26 ERROR   17447   [cocoon  ] (Thread-13): Error compiling
> sitemap, caught java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: null
>
> This happens on our Linux box (Debian 2.2, Sun JDK 1.3). On my NT box I do
> get the sitemap compiled, but just barely (I think). Memory usage of the JVM
> is at about 72MB after compiling the sitemap (on NT that is).

Yeah, I noticed this yesterday, too. I'm not sure what's causing it.

> The I did some debugging to find out where the memory hog is, and I traced
> it down to the generateCode() method in
> org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.LogicsheetCodeGenerator.java.
> There on line 123 the call "this.rootReader.parse(input);" is throwing the
> OutOfMemory exception.

Okay. I'm just about to commit a change which should make it easier
to track down the exact location of the out of memory error. Having
said that, there's no guaruntee that the place it's running out of
memory is the place that's eating RAM. Sometimes I wish we still had
pointers. Can you update your checkout and try again? If you can
get the error to re-occour, then look in the log, and you should
find a stack trace next to the OutOfMemoryError -- post that here
and we'll see if we can work it out!

> This morning I saw Robin Green committed a change to todo.xml:
>   +  <action context="code" assigned-to="RDG">
>   +   Track down cause of OutOfMemoryError and multiple PDF problems.
>
> May be it's got something to do with my issue as well.

Nope, sadly not. Much though we'd love to have Robin's help on this one,
he's kinda busy looking after Cocoon 1 :)

Paul.