cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] redirection vs. aliases
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:04:32 GMT
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 06:48:51PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> As an example, Apache httpd and Tomcat both perform redirects
> as you might expect--it simply gives you the new page without
> any funky HTTP status messages.  IBM has perverted Apache
> with it's IBM HTTP Server (works with WebSphere), and Netscape
> give a funny redirection HTTP response and most browsers can't
> handle it.  Instead of the desired result (the new page),
> it gives you "Page Unavailable" in IE or no result in Netscape 6.

Uh. I'm not at *all* sure this is the case. As far as I am
aware, apache issues a 301, 302 or 303 as appropriate. To do
otherwise when a redirect is requested would place apache/tomcat
outside the HTTP specification, which must be A Bad Thing.
Aliases, on the other hand, should work internally, obviously..

Paul, wondering if he missed something.

Luminas Ltd.