cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: C2 Sitemap - Using a rule based engine ?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:18:12 GMT
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:56:52AM -0500, Jason Reid wrote:
> Going as far as personalization with a rules engine is a much larger
> scope than the sitemap, and is something that could justify it's
> own OSS project.
>
> I haven't looked at the code for the Sitemap and how it applies
> matchers yet, but I have worked on a Rete-based rules engine.  The
> two concepts are very similar, in fact, I envisioned one use of
> the engine as routing requests to servlets.  The algorithms developed for
> Rete and its successors might very well make the "Matching" process
> of the Sitemap more efficient (especially for larger, more complex
> sites).  Of course, it would add significantly to the work needed.

Jason,

I don't suppose you feel like writing this up as what we call
an 'RT' (Random Thought) do you? Basically, explain what you
mean, why it could be useful, and how you invisage it working
within the cocoon2 architecture (or even outside this
architecture)? We'll need a gentle introduction to the concepts
involved too, probably. Although I've got a basic grounding in
AI (and I mean basic), I'll need bits of it explaining..

The idea sounds interesting, but at the moment, I can't actually
see what benifits it would bring.. Help! ;)

P.

Luminas Ltd.