cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: C2 Sitemap - Using a rule based engine ?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:54:30 GMT
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 03:22:39PM +0100, Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:
> Using more powerfull rules, kind of "intelligence", being able to create
> personalized sites (using explicit and implicit personalization), etc...

Ahh, you mean so that, for example, the system could 'guess' what
areas of a site the user might be interested in? I agree that that
is an honourable goal, but I don't think this functionality belongs
in the sitemap. The sitemap is the central hub of Cocoon2, and needs
to run as fast as possible, which means keeping the complexity of it
relatively low. At present, the sitemap uses 'Matchers' and
'Selectors' to choose which pipeline to generate a request with.
Although these are relatively simple tools, they provide an incredibly
flexible architecture in which to manage a site. If you felt a need
to use AI to route requests to pipelines, there is no reason why you
couldn't write a selector using this technology to achieve it...

P.

Luminas Ltd.