cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject [RT] redirection vs. aliases
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 23:48:51 GMT
Thanks to my experience with trying to get C2 working with
WebSphere, and ColdFusion to work with Netscape Enterprise
Server, I have come to a very important realization.  No
vendor does redirection the same way (and some just do it
incorrectly).  A redirection is supposed to be a very simple
thing; however, it is causing me more problems than you
might imagine.

As an example, Apache httpd and Tomcat both perform redirects
as you might expect--it simply gives you the new page without
any funky HTTP status messages.  IBM has perverted Apache
with it's IBM HTTP Server (works with WebSphere), and Netscape
give a funny redirection HTTP response and most browsers can't
handle it.  Instead of the desired result (the new page),
it gives you "Page Unavailable" in IE or no result in Netscape 6.

Why is this an issue?  With ColdFusion, the only way to have
semi maintainable pages is to separate the logic sheets from
the display sheets and use redirection to get you to the next
stage.  My user state information gets lost if the server
screws up.  With Cocoon, I can use the sitemap to send me to
a default screen or even perform the same type of separation
with my XSP pages.

What I really want: an alias.  I am not trying to go to another
machine, or even another context.  I just want one page in place
of another.

How it would work: any time Cocoon intercepts a redirect() method
call, it processes the new URI in the same stream.  This has
the same effect, and you don't have Web server vendors screwing
you blind.

Do I sound like I am somewhere outside the loop, or is my frustration
shared?

If you lust for Ham and Eggs, you have
committed breakfast in your heart
already.   -- C. S. Lewis