cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Netscape and document cache
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:57:32 GMT
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Robin Green wrote:

> Here are the C1 caching plans, folks. (This thread previously only existed
> on cocoon-users, but I thought it was time to get moving and implement it.)
>
> BTW, I just remembered. I was wrong before - caching well-designed XSP pages
> isn't always pointless. If an XSP page gets data from a database using GET
> request parameters (not POST) the query string is included in the URL used
> to index the cache (at least, in C1 it is), so each different combination of
> query strings is stored separately in the cache. If some requests are made
> very often this could be useful.
>
> So there's definitely a need for a cacheable setting in XSP pages. I'm going
> to introduce this as a new tag - <xsp:cacheable/> which must appear, if at
> all, under <xsp:structure>. For now it will just be a presence/absence
> thing. This will not necessarily be forward-compatible with C2.

I'm sorry, but I must very strongly disagree with this. Cocoon's caching
semantics are different to AxKit's, and we also wanted to enable XSP to
work outside of a web environment. Put cacheable in a logicsheeet. Please.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **