cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 05:42:55 GMT
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ricardo Rocha wrote:

> SLL parameters may be specified as either attributes or nested
> elements (depending on whether their value is known at compile
> or request time). Thus, the following 3 forms are all correct:
>
>   <!-- Attribute notation -->
>   <util:system-time format="hh:mm:ss"/>
>
>   <!-- Nested element notation, static value -->
>   <util:system-time>
>     <util:format>hh:mm:ss</util:format>
>   </util:system-time>
>
>   <!-- Nested element notation, dynamic value -->
>   <util:system-time>
>     <util:format>
>       <request:parameter name="format" default="hh:mm:ss"/>
>     </util:format>
>   </util:system-time>
>
> NOTE: Implementation-wise, logicsheets may be "preprocessed" to
>       XSLT stylesheets, but this is not mandatory.

this alone would be a real boon to logicsheet developers as this is the
easiest thing to screw up when you're writing logicsheets for the first
time.

> A common pattern in logicsheets is to map dynamic tags to [static]
> method calls defined in an accompanying class (such as the "Util.java"
> class in the example above).

this is by no means the only design pattern. we had a discussion at
apachecon in which you theorized that all logicsheets could be written
strictly using java expressoins (e.g. only xsp:expr elements, no xsp:logic
elements) and helper static java libraries. that would be nice, as it's
always possible to nest expressions inside other expressions (although i
wonder if there's a java limit on the bytecode size of expressions?), but
unfortunately it doesn't work for, say, the esql logicsheet. in its case,
the logicsheet must create variables for its internal use - it must open a
connection object and create a statement and a resultset object for other
elements in the esql namespace to operate upon - you can't get away with a
single call to a static library. that's the mistake i made with the sql
logicsheet.

- donald