cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:06:22 GMT
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> True, logicsheets are written by programmers, but how many programmers
> are confortable with inlining code into XSLT stylesheets? how many
> programmers like to write their own SAX filter to create code that is
> futher compiled?
>
> SLL glues markup and OO code. If you think you don't need it for Perl,
> well, no problem, but are you sure all your joe perl programmers are
> able to handle nested taglibs with no hassle?
>
> If so, well, I can't wait for Perl 6 to come out so that I can compile
> it on a JVM and use it inside my XSP :)
>
> But, for now, I believe SiLLy (despite its name) is a very clever
> approach for markup-java logic connection.

I think though that there's a better middle ground to be struck here. I
don't know what it is or where it is, but SiLLy seems too verbose at the
moment. I wish I could say more about what I think that middle ground is
or should be, but I can't - I'm really just saying that I personally
wouldn't be happy working at a company writing logic sheets using the
lingo supplied in the example. It seems to make things easier for *Cocoon*
(or AxKit or whatever), but not for the developer...

PS: Don't hold your breath for Perl6 :-)

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **