cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: [ADMIN] process for applying patches
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2000 10:18:57 GMT

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> > Probably this is the problem. Patches posted to high traffic mailing
> > list easily get overlooked or forgotten. A "patch tracking system"
> > (apart from the mailing list) could indead be valuable. Does anybody
> > know such a system? Is anybody planning to do that?
> I think setting up a separate mailing list, cocoon-patches, for posting and
> reviewing patches might be good enough. From my experience as the Objective-C
> maintainer in the GCC compiler suite for the last 3 years, this works fine even
> with a high volume of patches. Setting up a Web site to track patches might
> also help, although I don't think is essential.

Dermot McGahon mentioned that the linux kernel list have recently adopted
a patch filtering system

All patches get sent to, and after some validity
checks, each patch gets assigned an ID and posted to linux-kernel.

The proposer, Dan Quinlan, had this to say of a separate mailing list for

"We had some amount of discussion about whether a separate mailing list
woul be a good idea, but we ruled the idea out because fragmenting the
kernel-related discussion would have negative effects on development. If
it becomes a problem, we can always separate it later. "

> I also think would be really useful to publish the list of the current people
> that have CVS commit rights together with their area of expertise in Cocoon.
> This way somebody that has a patch can directly contact the right person and
> Cc: the mailing list for patch review. Check-out the MAINTAINERS file in GCC
> for an example of this:

A good idea IMHO, but it could become a maintenance headache, especially
keeping the "areas of expertise" section up-to-date. One tends to pick up
this info just by hanging around on the list for a while.

Btw, due to a "feature" of CVS, one can view the CVSROOT of any project.
Checking out Cocoon's CVSROOT yields lots of interesting stuff, including
the file CVSROOT/avail, which contains the access control list for who's
got commit access.

Except it doesn't have cocoon. So the previous paragraph was pointless ;P
It's still an interesting fact to know.

> As Jeff Turner mentioned before, the GCC model works well because GCC reached a
> certain critical mass in terms of contributors and active developers. I'm sure
> as Cocoon matures, things will become smoother. Right now is just a little
> annoying as there's no defined way to have changes incorporated in the main
> trunk.
> Regards,
> --
> Ovidiu Predescu <>