cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: [C2][Xalan2J] SAXTransformerFactory's newXMLFilter
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:10:55 GMT

Done.  Added:

public XMLFilter newXMLFilter(Templates templates)
     throws TransformerConfigurationException;

to  javax.xml.transform.sax.SAXTransformerFactory (and underlying
implementation).  Also, changed newXMLFilter(Source src) to throw a
TransformerConfigurationException.

Don, please take note for your TrAX documentation efforts.

-scott

                    Scott Boag

                                         To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    11/14/00 11:43       cc:     xalan-dev@xml.apache.org

                    AM                   Subject:     Re: [C2][Xalan2J] SAXTransformerFactory's
newXMLFilter
                                         (Document link: Scott Boag)

Davanum, first, sorry for my inattention.  The days have been awfully busy
lately.  Also, my mail sorting mechansim is kindof messed up, and your mail
has all been sorted to my cocoon folder, even though it has a xalan-dev cc.

Yes, thanks, this is clearly an API bug.  The code with the
newXMLFilter(Templates templates) will be checked in sometime today.

-scott

                    Davanum

                    Srinivas             To:     Gary L Peskin <garyp@firstech.com>,
xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                    <dims@yahoo.c        cc:     Scott_Boag@lotus.com, cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    om>                  Subject:     Re: [C2][Xalan2J] SAXTransformerFactory's
newXMLFilter

                    11/12/00

                    05:55 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Gary,
My Question to Scott about adding a new method was independent of
everything else.....I
specifically mentioned that there are work arounds :) Yes, we have shifted
to TransformerHandler.
My question was if SAXTransformerFactory has newTransformerHandler's which
can take in a Source or
a Templates, then why not have newXMLFilter to mimic the same behavior.
This was purely from the
point of view of how complete the API is.

Scott,
Can you please answer?

Thanks,
dims

--- Gary L Peskin <garyp@firstech.com> wrote:
> Dims --
>
> What happened to my previous idea?
>
> private SAXTransformerFactory transformerFactory;
>
> public XMLFilter getXMLFilter() throws TransformerConfigurationException
> {
>   XMLFilter retFilter = new XMLFilterImpl();
>   TransformerHandler th =
> transformerFactory.newTransformerHandler(templates);
>   retFilter.setContentHandler(th);
>   return retFilter;
> }
>
> I thought you had said that you decided you didn't need th XMLFiler
> since you were switching to just using a TransformerHandler.  Have you
> decided that you do need the XMLFilter after all?
>
> Gary
>

> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> > Scott,
> >
> > SAXTransformerFactory needs a new method named newXMLFilter which takes
in a Templates object
> as a
> > parameter. I know that there are other ways of getting an XMLFilter
which contains a
> Transformer,
> > but the objective is to make it easy. For example there are two
newTransformerHandler methods
> one
> > of which takes in a Source and another takes in a Templates object. So
why not have an
> additional
> > newXMLFilter which takes in a Templates object?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > dims
> >
> >   public XMLFilter newXMLFilter(Templates templates){
> >     try {
> >       return new TrAXFilter(templates);
> >     } catch(TransformerConfigurationException tfe) {
> >       return null;
> >     }
> >   }

=====