cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Verhage <pe...@ibuildings.nl>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon in cacheland
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:38:44 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> I totally agree with you. Do you have something more concrete for the
> cache discussion?

:) Yes.

I'm working with Cocoon 1 right now on a project. And without caching
Cocoon 1 is slow compared to other "scripting" languages like PHP. Sure
Cocoon offers a lot what PHP and other scripting languages can't offer,
but if it's slow people look for another solution with their current
tools.

If cache is enabled in Cocoon 1 it's quite fast in serving pages but PHP
can still beat it in similar tasks. But because of what Cocoon offers
over PHP people will choose Cocoon this time because they get a lot of
stuff more and there is just a small performance decrease.

Cocoon 2 is (as of what I've read, sorry I haven't tested it only once)
quite fast without caching. But if you enable caching you might give it
the extra boost it needs to get widely accepted. I think it's important
at the moment to get "market share", let people use Cocoon! If they use
it, they will see (just like I did) the beauty of it. And this will make
Cocoon more and more accepted...

It's nice to have Cocoon. But it's even more nice to have a fast Cocoon
:)

I hope I've expressed myself clearly, I'm not native english, I'm just a
trainee, but I love Cocoon and I hope more people will in the future :)
As for now I don't have the time to help developing Cocoon (2), but I
sure will in the near future.

With best regards,

Peter

P.S.
Listen to the users, to what they want :)

--
Peter Verhage       <peter@ibuildings.nl>
ibuildings.nl BV - information technology