cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon in cacheland
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:17:57 GMT

Giacomo Pati a écrit :

> --- Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati a écrit :
> > >
> > > The mass of replies to this topic seems that nobody needs a cache
> > for
> > > Cocoon 2.
> > >

> > Don't be sarcastic :
>
> Maybe I shouldn't use sarcasm but wanted to start up the discussion
> again being provacative :)

That's ok : shaking the tree is sometimes good to make ideas fall down
;-)

> > cacheing is a *must have* if Cocoon wants to be
> > able to compare in terms of speed with other technologies (JSP, PHP
> > and
> > others).
>
> Does JSP or PHP have a built in cache, didn't know about it?

No, but since they are "lowel level" technologies that do not have
Cocoon's nice pipeline and separation of concerns architecture, they do
not suffer the associated overhead. Just compare a simple "Hello world"
in JSP and in Cocoon (with XSL processing) and you'll understand what I
mean.

Of course, if you pipe JSP/PHP output through XSL, Cocoon may perform
better because it doesn't require intermediate XML parsing. There is an
article about JSP and XSL at
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/html/JSPXML.html . Some parts remind me
of Cocoon but without its well organized design.

> > The lack of response on this subject is probably caused by
> > the
> > current stage of C2 : features are still being defined. As
> > optimization
> > is not directly visible to the Cocoon user, it's not the main concern
> > today... but it will be as soon as C2 will be used in production
> > environments.
>
> Do you mean we should release a 'production' release without cache?

I think there shouldn't be a production release of C2 that's slower than
C1, because one of the main promises of C2 is speed (and better SOC
through the sitemap). So there should be at least a cache equivalent to
C1's (last stage cache), allowing to delay the full cache implementation
if needed.

However, before releasing a production (i.e. public) release, other
features (mainly actions) should stabilize to avoid incompatibilities
with future releases.

--
Sylvain Wallez
Anyware Technologies