cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From macie...@tiger.com.pl
Subject RE: [C2]Action proposal (long)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:54:30 GMT
On 14 Nov 2000, at 0:50, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> --- maciejka@tiger.com.pl wrote:
> > Why not to let actions throw exceptions and catch them in sitemap:
>
> It's already there! A <pipeline> can have a <handle-error> element
> which you can fillup with <transform> and <serialize> to suit your
> need. The thrown exception will be handled by an internal generator
> which converts the Exception into a defined DTD (see
> org.apache.cocoon.Notifier).

My itention is to use exceptions to break execution of chained
actions and communicate reason of the break to the sitemap.

<handle-error> purpose is to handle fatal situations, I suppose, and
can't be used to handle exceptional, but not fatal situations
ocurring during action execution.

Other problem with <handle-error> I see:
If administrator can't choose generator for given error than
error handling is up to transformation author, not up to site
administrator? Is it constistent with Cocoon goal to keep contexts
(management and style) from overlaping?

Maciek Kaminski
maciejka@tiger.com.pl