cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Re: SchemoX (was: MVC, Struts and Cocoon)
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:30:57 GMT
Steffen Stundzig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 07:41:48 -0800 (PST) Davanum Srinivas <dims@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Steffen,
> > Does SchemoX use Cocoon2?
>
> At the moment we have a sample implementation using Cocoon1.8.
> I don't no why we couldn't use Cocoon2. One main goal of the SchemoX
> framework is independence of the output renderer.

I've had a look at SchemoX and Steffen contacted me to have some
discussion about how SchemoX and Cocoon 2 can work together. I really
like the idea of SchemoX and I clearly see the SchemoX framework
implemented as C2 components.

SchemoX is a framework that uses XSchemas to build forms to edit XML
instance. The
http://www.infozone-group.org/schemoxDocs/html/proposal.html gives an
overview to the framework. I'd like Jeremy to take a look at it (as soon
as he's back from his vacation :) because he has some experience with
XML document editing from his FP taglib. I would also appreciate if we
can work together with the SchemoX group discussing and building such
components for C2.

The discussion with Steffen has brought us to the following sitemap
example snippet so far and this is a base to discuss about:

  <match pattern="mydocs/*/*">
    <action type="schemox-reader" src="xschemas/{2}.xsd"/>
    <action type="schemox-validator"/>
    <action type="schemox-handler"/>
    <generate type="schemox-composer" src="resources/{1}.xml"/>
    <transform src="stylesheets/schemox2structure.xsl"/>
    <transform src="stylesheets/structure2html.xsl"/>
    <serialize type="html"/>
  </match>

The action of type "schemox-reader" will build up the XSchema
representing object and put it in the environment if it is not already
there.

The action of type "schemox-validator" will validate the data posted.

The action of type "schemox-handler" will manipulate the instance
according to events posted back from the client and make them available
in the environment object as well as possible messages which should be
presented to the client by the generator.

The generator of type "schemox-form-generator" will read the instance
and form it to the schemox namespace according to the xschema supplied
from the form-controller.

The first xslt transformer builds up the structure of the page possibly
inserting additional elements for linkage etc.

The second transformer builds the styled xhtml representation of the
page.

The serializer makes it available to the clients OutputStream.

This IMHO will give the best flexibility to change or parametrize those
components for different source stores of XSchemas and XML instances.

Please join it with your oppinions.

Giacomo