cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [C2]Action proposal (long)
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:58:06 GMT
Giacomo Pati a écrit :

> Hi all
>
> I'd like to thank you all for patiently waiting for this proposal.
> I know I was very ternse the last days. This is because I'm have
> to finish some projects apart from Cocoon.
>
> Action proposal

</snip>

A few thoughts that came to mind when reading the proposal.

As far as pipeline description is concerned, the sitemap is great : a
pipeline is simple sequence of transformations and the associated
language is compact.

Actions (which I think are *really* needed to build web apps with
Cocoon) are more complex since they tackle the logic of the application,
which can have a complicated structure. Action-chains are a kind of
reusable block (or a method ?), but I think very soon new needs will
emerge when people will use actions : if-then constructs, iterations,
etc.

So why not allow a kind of <map:logic> tag in some sections of the
sitemap to allow people to express complex behaviours directly in Java ?
Simple things should be simple (use the limited sitemap language wich
covers 80% of your needs), complex things should be possible (do it in
Java). Moreover, which not allow map logicsheets which would allow to
factorize high-level constructs such as web site structure or behaviour
(actions) using custom tags ?

What do you think of it ?

-Sylvain