cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Better and Better and RT
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:35:36 GMT
Ross Burton wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > With the latest CVS of Cocoon2, I noticed that all the
> > samples work as expected again.  I also noticed that
> > the plumbing is much quicker as well.  Sitemap generation
> > is roughly the same, however once generated the rest of
> > the resources compile 10-20% faster than before.
> >
> > (I know we aren't worried about performance yet, but it's
> > good to know it is improving none the less).
> >
> > I haven't tried dealing with the browser selector.
> >
> > I envision the following additional selectors to be vital
> > to any site:
> >
> > ParameterSelector (select things pased on HTTP parameters)
> > AcceptsSelector (send PNG to browsers that accept it...)
>
> I have plans to write both of these.  I'm currently finishing a spec for
> BrowserCapabilitySelector which will include Accepts as a parameter, and
> IIRC a ParameterMatcher was posted recently which might be able to be
> changed to a selector.

Take into account that a Selector chooses between multiple possibilities
(and a default one if neither choosen) whereas a Matcher returns a List
(or maybe we should change that to a Map) of values you can use for
substitution in src attributes of Generators and Transformers. I can
imaging to have a Matcher that select values out of the environment
objects (Request/Response/Session/Context) and a corresponsing Selector
which chooses some component to generate the view expected. This way you
can still refer to the values the Matcher has evaluated.

  <match type="uri" pattern="myuri">
    <match type="value-extractor" pattern="unused">    <-----+
      <select type="value-selector">                         !
        <when test="first">                                  !
          <generate type="file" src="mydir/first/{value}/> --+
        </when>
      </select>
    </match>
  </match>

I really think that we must think in terms of "team play" between
components. What do you think about that?

Giacomo