cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [admin] Taking some time off
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:42:51 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > As for my future, don't worry, I'll be back one of these days, but don't
> > hold your breath.
>
> Stefano,
>
> Thanks for all the hard work and the many good works. But be sure to come
> back, especially when we run out of breath :-)

I said *don't* hold your breath :)

Thanks for your words of appreciation... I've received many many many of
such emails in the last few days from all a bunch of people (even
lurkers, that was great!)... like I said to each one of them, respect
and appreciation is the best possible award one can get.... sure we
don't exchange money for our work, but we get things that not even money
can buy... I'm a much richer person today and I thank you all for this.

A wise man once said: "only when you think everyone is equal to you, you
become different"

I came here to Apache thinking that I was different, that I had better
ideas, that I could shape things on my own, and I continued to think
that until very recently... but I look around and see a bunch of people
that I care about, a bunch of people that I consider friends, a
community of equal individuals, in all possible senses.

Only when I saw that I knew what to do: delegate, let go, let others
step in, let others understand this by themselves (good software comes
out as a byproduct of our path to learn it)

This is my suggestion for all of you, even for you experienced members:
delegation scales the community and a bigger community means more value,
more fun, more positive energy. But delegation happens only if you
trust, if you consider your fellow community mate equal to you.

When this doesn't happen, friction develops, bottlenecks arise, positive
energy turns into negative one.

Just think about it and return on it often: you are never far enough
from your ego to be safe.

Take care, people, there is a bright future to build: don't let the dark
side steal it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

P.S. my internal chaos has undergone slow thermal death due to entropic
growth... but the dark matter is still there... I just have to wait
until it clusters again :)