cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [admin] Taking some time off
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:53:28 GMT
People,

during the last three years I've been dedicating most of my free time to
many different Apache projects and to the evolution of web technologies
in general.

There were ups and downs, but I received great satisfaction in doing so,
I'm now 25 and I had national newspapers writing articles about me, I
won awards with the software I helped creating, I've helped many people
finding a good job and making a better life, I've been presented on
stage in front of 15000 people at JavaONE, I've got to meet the very
stars of this show, I've been asked to write books, to write speeches,
to architect new systems, to chair a foundation...

...but this had several costs.

I find myself with no energies, I find myself with very little to say, I
find myself arrogant and frustrated, I find myself harmful for the very
projects I care about.

When I was studied ancient greek history, the figure of Solon impressed
me: he was appointed governor of Athens and he did great things, but
when he thought his job was over, he went back to the countryside, back
to work as a farmer.

I'd like to picture myself in the same position for this effort: this
project needed somebody to create both the technology and the community
around it.. but the more you've helped the advancement of something, the
more you are going to harm its evolution in the longer run.

It's been a while I'm thinking about leaving but only a few were aware
of this and during the last few months I tried to make the transition as
smooth as possible and I think that this project has enough solid
representatives (Giacomo, Donald, Robin, Ricardo) to continue with no
problems.

I wanted this transition to stand for another month, but personal
problems force me to leave sooner than I expected.

I will spend tomorrow talking with Ricardo about everything that needs
to be done and I expect to happen, but I'm pretty sure you guys will do
a great job even without me.

Here are some latest random thoughts:

As for the XSP integration with the Perl community, I really hope this
works out as expected... I would be awesome to have PHP people involved
as well, but this is up for them to join forces or not, anyway, I would
love to see XSP a more global effort than simply Cocoon's and I think I
speak for the whole Cocoon community.

As for Avalon integration, I'm sure Berin and Peter will continue their
great job.

As for Jetspeed integration, the plans are to make Cocoon2 powerful
enough to transform Jetspeed2 into a Cocoon2 XML web application for
dynamic content aggregation, but this is up to the jetspeed community or
to who needs portal-like applications.

As for Infozone (prowler, schemoX) integration, I'd welcome any
collaborative effort with the Infozone Group and given the compatible
licensing, this is something I really look forward to see happening
(expecially for XML content management systems and schema-based form
validation)

As for Turbine integration, I'd love to see Jon, Giacomo and Peter
collaborating over the creation of a solid action-based infrastructure
for the sitemap. I think most of it is already in place... but probably
a serious web application on top of C2 (jetspeed2?) could be a good test
for the whole thing.

As for the TODO list and things to do for C2 release, I'll leave all the
ideas I still haven't expressed to Ricardo that will communicate them to
you.

As for my future, don't worry, I'll be back one of these days, but don't
hold your breath.

So, what can I say, it has been a wonderful experience working with you
all and I think of you as friends more than colleagues.

Take care and keep up the great work.

P.S. my mail address remains the same so, if you have problems you
really need my advice, you know where to contact me... only I won't be
as responsive as in the past.

Ciao.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.