cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2]Action proposal (long)
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:15:26 GMT
At 02:26  9/11/00 +0100, you wrote:
>> While I are not a developer I would HATE to see this happen. It is meant to
>> be simple to assemble to design and maintain. Allowing logic to creep into
>> the sitemap seems like a massive violation of the seperation of concerns
>> because no longer can the sitemanager understand the sitemap ;)
>>

>I understand your point of view and agree with it. But I'm very curious
>about how application structure complexity can be handled by actions in
>the sitemap. That's why I was also suggesting a kind of logicsheet
>mechanism that would allow expansion of the sitemap without putting raw
>java code in it or factorization of higher-level constructs.

well 90% of complexity can be placed into the actions themselves. In some
cases where a user sends wrong info or has invalid session etc. the action
can do things like add "abort" messages to context data of request. This
"abort" code would be picked up by selectors who would then redirect to
appropriate place.

The only thing I see wrong with this is that it is too verbose. It would be
nicer if you could add magic "abort" codes to context data and they would
be treated specially. The reason for this is that it is such a common
operation that it should be simpler ;)

Cheers,

Pete