cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2]Action proposal (long)
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 11:13:12 GMT
At 11:58  9/11/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Giacomo Pati a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'd like to thank you all for patiently waiting for this proposal.
>> I know I was very ternse the last days. This is because I'm have
>> to finish some projects apart from Cocoon.
>>
>> Action proposal
>>
></snip>
>
>A few thoughts that came to mind when reading the proposal.
>
>As far as pipeline description is concerned, the sitemap is great : a
>pipeline is simple sequence of transformations and the associated
>language is compact.

agreed.

>Actions (which I think are *really* needed to build web apps with
>Cocoon) are more complex since they tackle the logic of the application,
>which can have a complicated structure. Action-chains are a kind of
>reusable block (or a method ?), but I think very soon new needs will
>emerge when people will use actions : if-then constructs, iterations,
>etc.

I would say these aspects are not needed - that sounds like a new scripting
language - ewwww ;)

I think you should take the same angle as ant developers take. Namely place
all complexity into the action and leave the sitemap as simple as possible.
The sitemap is not meant to be aimed at someone who understands all the
impacts of different constructs but more a semi-technical sitemanager.

>So why not allow a kind of <map:logic> tag in some sections of the
>sitemap to allow people to express complex behaviours directly in Java ?
>Simple things should be simple (use the limited sitemap language wich
>covers 80% of your needs), complex things should be possible (do it in
>Java).

Nooooooooo !! ;)

While I are not a developer I would HATE to see this happen. It is meant to
be simple to assemble to design and maintain. Allowing logic to creep into
the sitemap seems like a massive violation of the seperation of concerns
because no longer can the sitemanager understand the sitemap ;)

Cheers,

Pete