cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: Poor slobs behind stupid corporate firewall
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:27:32 GMT
Than it should be even simpler. You could use the CONNECT method of the Web
proxy to do the tunneling, it's a fairly common technique for traversing the
firewall (make sure your Web proxy supports it first).

I append a simple class I use to make a connection to LDAP servers running
outside HP's firewall. Although the example is written to work with Java, with
some work you probably modify it to work with the CVS source code. Look for a
common function that's used everywhere inside CVS to create a new socket and
modify that function as in the appended example; if none exists you could
probably try to create one and modify the CVS source code to use it instead.

The basic idea of the code is that instead of connecting directly to the
requested Internet address at the given port, you connect to the Web proxy and
send to it a CONNECT request. You then need to filter out some junk text that's
printed by the Web proxy and you're done. Simply return this socket to the
application; all the communication sent and received on this socket is
forwarded by the Web proxy to the real one.

Good luck,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>