cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [C2] [Patch] Beginnings of component optimisation.
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:48:44 GMT

--- Paul Russell <paul@luminas.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A while back, myself and a few others added support for pooling
> and threadsafe components to C2. I'm now starting the process
> of going through and marking the components as Poolable/ThreadSafe/
> SingleThreaded etc. Please find attached the first of (several)
> patches which are the beginnings of this. All of the components
> so far have been ThreadSafe (as far as I can tell), which is good
> news.

What about doing it yourself?

I propose Paul Russel becoming a committer to the Apache Cocoon project
because I'm too lazy to check in all his patches (past ones and futer
ones :).

Committers, please vote.

> There's a *lot* more to do for this (like making Poolable
> objects return to their pools, for a start!), so all help is
> appreciated :)

This is not a problem with the sitemap components (Generator,
Transformer, Serializer, Reader, Action, Selector and Matcher) because
the sitemap engine takes care of that. It uses a 'finally' clause and
uses a ComponentHolder class to take care of the component itself to
have a uniform access handling to the component. But for the general
components (like Store, image encoders, ...) this is. Someone posted
some thought about Weak- and PhantomReference (or alike) but that seams
not to be a walkable way.

Giacomo

=====