cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Martin <l...@smb-tec.com>
Subject Re: Knowledge Management (Topic Maps)
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:18:35 GMT
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:02:33 -0500
"Bachran, Michael" <MBachran@microstrategy.com> wrote:

> Hi Anybody!
>
> Is there any intention to do a project on knowledge management within the
> ASF?
> How about doing something on Topic Maps using them to deliver an additional
> semantic layer to web applications using them for:
> 	- Navigation through the huge amount of information
> 	- Finding and accessing relevant information quick and easy by
> filtering (maybe moddeling security in it?)
>
> I am thinking about writing my diploma thesis on that and thought about
> evaluating Cocoon in this scope, using it as publishing system for the
> information and the navigation.
>
> Maybe through an avalon block the functionality to generate xlink structures
> that are needed to build paths to related ressources (maybe from producers)
> can be provided ...
> And ... generic search functionality on information enriched by a
> xml-TopicMap layer might become handy ... ?

> I am just thinking about it ...
> Do you think something of this does make any sense?

We thought about topic maps and knowledge management features in the Prowler
developer team. You may have heard about Prowler, which is related to the
Cocoon Project very closely. Prowler provides content management functionalities
and uses Cocoon to transform the (XML) content to the clients format. Would
be nice to see TM in combination with Cocoon and Prowler.

Lars
Lars Martin                                 mailto:lars@smb-tec.com
SMB GmbH                                     http://www.smb-tec.com