cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Martin <l...@smb-tec.com>
Subject Re: Apache Prowler? ASF member support needed!
Date Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:02:57 GMT
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:24:49 -0800 (PST)
Colin Britton <colin_britton@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am very interested in the prospect of adding CMS
> functionality to Cocoon and have been watching the
> progress of Slide (part of the Jakarta project). Here
> is an excerpt from the web page of slide:
>
> <clip>
> Slide is a Content Management and Integration System,
> which can be seen as a low-level content management
> framework. Conceptually, it provides a hierarchical
> organization of binary content which can be stored
> into arbitrary, heterogenous, distributed data stores.
> In addition, Slide integrates security, locking,
> content versioning, as well as many other services.
>
> It can integrate and manage data stored within
> external repositories, requiring only small
> abstraction layers to be written for each repository.
> That way, Slide can integrate the data from various
> physical locations in a hierachical and unified way.
> Slide uses can range from managing intranet
> application content (such as the Exolab.org portal) to
> using it as a file server.
>
> Slide also offers a WebDAV access module (implemented
> as a servlet). WebDAV is an IETF standard endorsed by
> companies like Microsoft, IBM, Novell, Adobe and many
> others. It makes Slide an ideal choice for web-based
> content management. All the data managed by Slide can
> be accessed through WebDAV, and enable remote
> administration and manipulation of the data managed by
> Slide using standard third party tools, along with the
> custom ones provided in the Slide distribution as
> additional tools.
> </clip>
>
> How do you see these two working together or not?

If I understand the Slide project (especially their WebDAV
support) right, then this project should sit on top of the
Prowler architecture. So Prowler have to provide an
implementation of Storage, the basic interface for storage
backends. The problem I see is, that Slide already provides
a lot of CMS functionality that overlaps with Prowler.
On the other hand a WebDAV frontend for Prowler would be cool.