cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Colin Britton <colin_brit...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache Prowler? ASF member support needed!
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:24:49 GMT
I am very interested in the prospect of adding CMS
functionality to Cocoon and have been watching the
progress of Slide (part of the Jakarta project). Here
is an excerpt from the web page of slide:

<clip>
Slide is a Content Management and Integration System,
which can be seen as a low-level content management
framework. Conceptually, it provides a hierarchical
organization of binary content which can be stored
into arbitrary, heterogenous, distributed data stores.
In addition, Slide integrates security, locking,
content versioning, as well as many other services.

It can integrate and manage data stored within
external repositories, requiring only small
abstraction layers to be written for each repository.
That way, Slide can integrate the data from various
physical locations in a hierachical and unified way.
Slide uses can range from managing intranet
application content (such as the Exolab.org portal) to
using it as a file server.

Slide also offers a WebDAV access module (implemented
as a servlet). WebDAV is an IETF standard endorsed by
companies like Microsoft, IBM, Novell, Adobe and many
others. It makes Slide an ideal choice for web-based
content management. All the data managed by Slide can
be accessed through WebDAV, and enable remote
administration and manipulation of the data managed by
Slide using standard third party tools, along with the
custom ones provided in the Slide distribution as
additional tools.
</clip>

How do you see these two working together or not?

Colin Britton

http://infozone-group.org/infozone-users/11-2000/msg00020.html