cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: Better and Better and RT
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 19:58:25 GMT
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:29:05 -0500 (EST), Donald Ball <balld@webslingerZ.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Ross Burton wrote:
>
> > I have plans to write both of these.  I'm currently finishing a spec for
> > BrowserCapabilitySelector which will include Accepts as a parameter, and
> > IIRC a ParameterMatcher was posted recently which might be able to be
> > changed to a selector.
>
> any luck searching for an open database of browsers and their
> capabilities, or do we still need to write our own? :)

What kind of browser capabilities are you looking for?

As I said in an earlier posting, I have already implemented something similar
for C1. I posted the patch on the mailing list a while ago. It should be fairly
easy to port the code to C2, although I admit I didn't look at C2 as much as I
looked on C1.

The patch looks at the Accept: header if the user agent is not known and
generates the correct media type for Cocoon. When the user agent is specified,
Cocoon passes to the XSLT processor as an argument a DOM tree with the browser
capabilities. One can make use of this argument to generate a customized
mark-up page; I'm already doing it for WML browsers.

The initial code is aimed at supporting WML browsers, but it can be extended
easily to support HTML browsers as well. In fact the database does contain a
description of some HTML browsers, but nothing really serious.

Please let me know if you want me to repost the patch.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>