cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [C2]Action proposal (long)
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:21:21 GMT

--- Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
> Giacomo Pati a écrit :
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'd like to thank you all for patiently waiting for this proposal.
> > I know I was very ternse the last days. This is because I'm have
> > to finish some projects apart from Cocoon.
> >
> > Action proposal
> >
> </snip>
>
> A few thoughts that came to mind when reading the proposal.
>
> As far as pipeline description is concerned, the sitemap is great : a
> pipeline is simple sequence of transformations and the associated
> language is compact.
>
> Actions (which I think are *really* needed to build web apps with
> Cocoon) are more complex since they tackle the logic of the
> application,
> which can have a complicated structure. Action-chains are a kind of
> reusable block (or a method ?), but I think very soon new needs will
> emerge when people will use actions : if-then constructs, iterations,
> etc.
>
> So why not allow a kind of <map:logic> tag in some sections of the
> sitemap to allow people to express complex behaviours directly in
> Java ?
> Simple things should be simple (use the limited sitemap language wich
> covers 80% of your needs), complex things should be possible (do it
> in
> Java). Moreover, which not allow map logicsheets which would allow to
> factorize high-level constructs such as web site structure or
> behaviour
> (actions) using custom tags ?
>
> What do you think of it ?

I know actions can complicate the sitemap alot and all logic component
writer have to think of when they write a component. But the focus of
the sitemap is to a administration person not a programmer. So I'm -1
on integrating java code directly into the sitemap. I personally think
with Matcher and Selectors you have enought constructio nelement to
describe your app from an administrators/deployers point of view. I
also don't see any need for iterations and alike.

Giacomo

=====