cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ADMIN] process for applying patches
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2000 13:11:21 GMT
On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:26:36AM +0000, Robin Green wrote:
> Agreed. If there are people who want to review stuff, why aren't they doing
> so already?

The problem at the moment is that it's actually rather hard to
do - the patches come onto the list (and let's be honest, it's
a rather 'action packed' list) and it takes quite a while to
find the patches which you know enough about to review.

I think there is some place for a patch control system. If
patches were uploaded by users (heck, we could even include
a script to post them automatically in the distribution),
we could then set things up so that everyone who wants an
account can have an account, and can begin reviewing patches
that interest them. We could set the system up so that (as
Jeff mentioned) people register their interest in certain
areas of the system, and then we could present them with a
highlighted view of the patch in place within the file (like
webcvs does, if any of you have used it recently). This way,
people can very quickly sanity check the patches and work
out why they're doing what they're doing. Cavets with this
are that the system would be relatively complex, and would
need to be able to access the CVS repositories. Are there
any CVS client libraries in java?

There is also a potential to use trust metrics to start
assigning more weight to votes from people who have had
more patches committed, or have voted in sync with other
high rating members in the past etc. Seen Advogato?

Just a thought...

Paul

Luminas Ltd.