cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: [ADMIN] process for applying patches
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2000 05:19:54 GMT
On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:05:02 +0100, Giacomo Pati <giacomo@apache.org> wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > > Jeff Turner wrote:
> > > >
> > > I think commiters and developers should automatically feel responsable
> > > for parts of the system they are interested on. And if a patch gets
> > > forgotten I hope those interested poeple stand up and say so on the
> > > list (and not only the original contributor). Nobody is perfect but if
> > > we help each other we can make it more perfect as a community not as
> > > an individual.
> >
> > Well.. currently, one posts a patch to cocoon-dev, waits until a committer
> > has time, and then hopes that one's patch hasn't been overlooked in the
> > mass of other postings. No-one other than committers has incentive to look
> > at the patch. Developers without commit access do not "automatically feel
> > responsible".  There is no culture of patch-reviewing. The peer review process
> > only happens after a commit.
> >
> > Yes, a "patch tracking" system is more formal, but that formalism lends
> > respectability to the title "patch reviewer", and may enough start a culture
> > of pre-commit peer reviewing.
>
> Probably this is the problem. Patches posted to high traffic mailing
> list easily get overlooked or forgotten. A "patch tracking system"
> (apart from the mailing list) could indead be valuable. Does anybody
> know such a system? Is anybody planning to do that?

I think setting up a separate mailing list, cocoon-patches, for posting and
reviewing patches might be good enough. From my experience as the Objective-C
maintainer in the GCC compiler suite for the last 3 years, this works fine even
with a high volume of patches. Setting up a Web site to track patches might
also help, although I don't think is essential.

I also think would be really useful to publish the list of the current people
that have CVS commit rights together with their area of expertise in Cocoon.
This way somebody that has a patch can directly contact the right person and
Cc: the mailing list for patch review. Check-out the MAINTAINERS file in GCC
for an example of this:

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/egcs/MAINTAINERS?rev=1.121&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

As Jeff Turner mentioned before, the GCC model works well because GCC reached a
certain critical mass in terms of contributors and active developers. I'm sure
as Cocoon matures, things will become smoother. Right now is just a little
annoying as there's no defined way to have changes incorporated in the main
trunk.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>