cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject [ADMIN] process for applying patches
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2000 23:48:56 GMT
I have a simple question, which might have wider implications though: how do
patches get applied to the source code?

I submitted a few patches in the past few weeks but received comments only on a
few of them. Are they good? Do they fit nicely in the Cocoon framework? Nobody
seems to care about this or to take any action. This is quite amazing to me, is
the first free software/open-source project I work on where people don't seem
to be preoccupied analyzing other people's patches and do something about them.

Until now Stefano was the one in charge with the management of this project.
What happens after his departure? Who is going to take the responsibility of
accepting new contributions? Successful free software and open-source projects
like the Linux kernel or the GCC compilers suite have a few individuals that
analyze the proposed patches and accept or reject them. If we want to be
successful in this project we need to setup a similar thing. I realize that
this is an open-source project and it might eat a substantial amount of time
from somebody's time to do it. But we have to find the resources to do it,
otherwise new contributions are going to be lost or people will get bored
submitting contributions nobody is analyzing.

I managed to convince the group I work in here at HP that we should use Cocoon
in some of our projects; it was a hard thing. An even harder thing was
convincing them that is worth contributing back to the project our changes. Now
that I managed to do it, hardly anybody seems to care about the contributions.
I think it would be a shame if these and any other contributions don't get at
least discussed if not accepted.

Maybe the people that have CVS commit access can come up with a way to look at
all these contributions and decide on whether they fit in the Cocoon framework
so they accept them or they don't, in which case they reject them. I strongly
feel we need to have such a process in place.

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>