cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@supereva.it>
Subject Re: [ADMIN] process for applying patches
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2000 08:39:42 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ovidiu Predescu" <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] process for applying patches

> On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:05:02 +0100, Giacomo Pati <giacomo@apache.org>
wrote:

> > Jeff Turner wrote:

> > > Well.. currently, one posts a patch to cocoon-dev, waits until a
committer
> > > has time, and then hopes that one's patch hasn't been overlooked in
the
> > > mass of other postings. No-one other than committers has incentive to
look
> > > at the patch. Developers without commit access do not "automatically
feel
> > > responsible".  There is no culture of patch-reviewing. The peer review
process
> > > only happens after a commit.
> > >
> > > Yes, a "patch tracking" system is more formal, but that formalism
lends
> > > respectability to the title "patch reviewer", and may enough start a
culture
> > > of pre-commit peer reviewing.
> >
> > Probably this is the problem. Patches posted to high traffic mailing
> > list easily get overlooked or forgotten. A "patch tracking system"
> > (apart from the mailing list) could indead be valuable. Does anybody
> > know such a system? Is anybody planning to do that?
>
> I think setting up a separate mailing list, cocoon-patches, for posting
and
> reviewing patches might be good enough. From my experience as the
Objective-C
> maintainer in the GCC compiler suite for the last 3 years, this works fine
even
> with a high volume of patches. Setting up a Web site to track patches
might
> also help, although I don't think is essential.

IMHO +1 (informal vote)
The list is really crowded

> I also think would be really useful to publish the list of the current
people
> that have CVS commit rights together with their area of expertise in
Cocoon.
> This way somebody that has a patch can directly contact the right person
and
> Cc: the mailing list for patch review. Check-out the MAINTAINERS file in
GCC
> for an example of this:

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/egcs/MAINTAINERS?rev=1.121&content-typ
e=text/x-cvsweb-markup

-1 everyone should feel responsible.
the code should be maintained by all, also to mature in knowledge.
Ok, it is not what you said, but if people start contacting coders
directly...
it's definately not ok IMHO. If someone has expertise and time, he
will answer, period.

> As Jeff Turner mentioned before, the GCC model works well because GCC
reached a
> certain critical mass in terms of contributors and active developers. I'm
sure
> as Cocoon matures, things will become smoother. Right now is just a little
> annoying as there's no defined way to have changes incorporated in the
main
> trunk.

As Giacomo pointed out, time is never enough ;-)
Right now I am oberated with work, maybe next month I can contribute more
actively again. I made the error stuff in C2; if it had problems and people
would
start sending me questions, what could I do?
What do you think?

nicola_ken :-)