cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: Better and Better and RT
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:26:14 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Ball" <balld@webslingerZ.com>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: Better and Better and RT

> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Ross Burton wrote:
>
> > I have plans to write both of these.  I'm currently finishing a spec for
> > BrowserCapabilitySelector which will include Accepts as a parameter, and
> > IIRC a ParameterMatcher was posted recently which might be able to be
> > changed to a selector.
>
> any luck searching for an open database of browsers and their
> capabilities, or do we still need to write our own? :)

I believe that is the wrong approach.  HTTP requests are
accompanied by certain parameters that web servers
automagically turn into CGI variables and such.  I could
have Netscape 4.7x with the Adobe SVG plugin, and can
accept SVG files.  However, the person in the next office
could have the same browser but no plugin.  Beyond that,
Netscape 4.x on Unix can accept gzipped streams while
Netscape 4.x on Windows and MacIntosh can't.

Use the variables that the web server gives us, and we
don't have to have a database of what browser does what.