cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: Comments on XSP 1.1 (long)
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:23:18 GMT
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ricardo Rocha wrote:

> Oops! Sorry guys, I mistakenly hit the "send" button before the
> message was complete. Here I go again...
>
> *** Adding a logicsheet language (SiLLy, Simple Logicsheet Language) ***

Maybe I'm missing something...

SiLLy is for logicsheet/taglib authors. These people are programmers. I
don't really see how it makes sense to ask them to work in XML for
defining their API. Logic is language dependant (no matter how you turn it
around), so why not let them use their language to define these things? I
guess I just don't see the benefit between what you have below, and the
following XPathScript logicsheet which does almost the same thing but in
Perl:

<%
set_namespace( util => 'uri' );
use Time::Object;
$t->{'util:system-time'}{testcode} = sub {
	my ($node, $t) = @_;
	$t->{pre} = '<xsp:expr>localtime->strftime(' .
		$node->getAttribute('format') .
		')</xsp:expr>';
	return 1;
};
%>

(don't flame me about the syntax, I know some of you hate Perl, but the
point is that people like this - its very programmer friendly, it fits
their world)

I'm honestly not buying that you're going to get lots of *programmers*
jumping up and down about SiLLy...

Another thing I'd like to see is a CORBA taglib in both Cocoon and AxKit,
so we can simply go:

<corba:send-email/>

Or whatever. Now that would be truly language independant, and wouldn't
require programmers working with logicsheets, which is starting to look
messy.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **