cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Franz <snowh...@nihongo.org>
Subject Re: XSP and Japanese characters...
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:51:25 GMT
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Stephane Mouchel Vichard (Japan) wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> 	I would like to use XSP code in my XML files, but I meet problems
> with japonese characters. Indeed, until now, I was using simple XML files
> and everything was OK. But when I tried to adapt the file to accept XSP
> code, all the japanese characters where converted in "?????".
>
> 	I tried the following command in cocoon.properties:
> 		processor.xsp.encoding = Shift_Jis
> 	but I received a error message telling that Shif_Jis is not
> supported by Cocoon.
>
> 	Does anybody have an idea ?

You will find life *much* easier if you use UTF8 for your charset encoding
of your XML and output. It supports Japanese completely and is XML's
native encoding. If you need to transform SJIS to UTF8, you should look
for a Perl module named 'Jcode' at CPAN (Or alternatively a module I just
uploaded named Unicode::MapUTF8 which wraps Jcode and other Unicode
related modules in a single simple API).

--
Benjamin Franz

   Perl - A post-modern programming language or a
   scripting tool gone horribly, horribly wrong?
                              -- Rob Malda