cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject RE: Patch for latest version of Xalan2J
Date Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:03:11 GMT

One issue with the benchmark is that you are letting the processor use
there own serializers.  Since Cocoon uses the same serializer regardless of
XT vs. Xalan (I think) you should take this out of the equation.  Esp. for
UTF-8 encoding, XT pulls some fancy tricks to pull off fast serialization.

If test3 is applied against dream.xml, the //ACT pattern will cause
significant penalty right now.  It's on the optimization list.

> Let's me know what are your thoughts on this. Thanks

I'll try and run the benchmarks later this week.  As I said, there's lots
and lots we still need to do with optimization, so I'm not too worried.

Or, let me put it this way to an XT fanatic:  I won't stop until XalanJ2 is
faster than XT.  I have a fairly good idea of what XT is doing, and am
reasonably confident we will get there.  But it will take another month or
so.

-scott

                    Sebastien

                    Sahuc                To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <ssahuc@imedi        cc:     Scott_Boag@lotus.com

                    ation.com>           Subject:     RE: Patch for latest version of Xalan2J

                    10/20/2000

                    10:23 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

> Sebastien, how's it compare with the XalanJ1 version?

Faster (twice as fast) when it comes to short XML document (1kb) but almost
the same when dealing with longer source (100kb). So still 3 times longer
than XT :-( in this case.

Please download my benchmark at

http://sebsahuc.citeweb.net/Xslbench.zip

It's a autosufficient bench (every lib included), just need to launch

  run 100

for testing the 1kb sample two times 100 loops (to make sure the code is
compiled when we reached the second set of 100 loops)

and launch

  run2 100

for benching the 100kb sample two times 100 loops.

The bench show different combinations of XSL processor and XML parser.