cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: [Xalan2] Namespaces Problem
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:53:27 GMT

How's performance?  The measurements I was taking today that looked like a
huge regression turned out to have the JIT turned off.  Damn, that's the
second time in my life I've done that.

I'm especially interested to hear if you cocoon guys can notice the
incremental performance now.  I fixed the last bug in that respect, and you
should see an interesting change in response time.

The measurements I'm taking still show Xalan2 a bit slower than XalanJ1.
However, I'm measuring the Xerces serializers against the old Xalan
serializers, which I think were quite a bit faster.  Assaf's fancy layers
may be art, but serialization is very time critical code.  A huge
percentage of the overall profiles, like 40%, are being spent in the
serialization layer.

Anyway, I suspect *basic* transforms at the XalanJ2 level are now faster
than XalanJ1.  But this stuff is still highly case-by-case dependent.  Many
selection patterns will probably be a bit faster in XalanJ1, like "//foo",
but this will improve quickly over time.  I suspect we're well on our way
to becoming as fast or faster than other Java processor competitors.

I think I'm going to give up on the optimization madness for now.  There's
still a lot to be done, but it's time that I clear my head on this aspect
for a few days.  I'll do some more work on optimized itterators, etc.,
after I get back from ApacheCon.

-scott

                    Davanum

                    Srinivas             To:     xalan-dev@xml.apache.org, cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <dims@yahoo.c        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    om>                  Subject:     Re: [Xalan2] Namespaces Problem

                    10/17/00

                    10:39 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Scott,

The Namespace sample works fine. But now am getting the following exception
in our code. Any
ideas? I won't have a chance to dig deeper into this till day after
tomorrow. The #RTREEFAG string
seems to be from XRTreeFrag.java.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Can not convert #RTREEFRAG to a NodeList!
           at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:917)
           at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLFilterImpl.parse(XMLFilterImpl.java:371)
           at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLFilterImpl.parse(XMLFilterImpl.java:371)

Thanks,
dims

--- Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

> Davanum, please check out the latest, and let me know how things are.
Your

cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org,
> xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
>                     <dims@yahoo.c        cc:     (bcc: Scott
Boag/CAM/Lotus)

>                     om>                  Subject:     Re: [Xalan2]
Namespaces Problem

=====