cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: [C2] [Xalan2] 3 Issues so far.
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 23:07:50 GMT

I think a lot of it has to do with how the makefiles are written.  The
Xalan one does compile in batches, and is pretty useful.  An ant build file
might be just as fast or faster.

-scott

                    Ross Burton

                    <ross.burton@        To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    mail.com>            cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [C2] [Xalan2] 3 Issues so far.

                    rossyb@lineon

                    e.net

                    10/04/00

                    06:11 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
> >
> > We build distributions and the like with ant.  But for my personal
> > development cycles, I still like make... it seems faster.  Maybe we
just
> > need to improve our ant file.
>
> faster? are you kidding? ant is 10 times faster than make on almost
> every system I found... what's the problem are you having? does it
> recompile everything everytime? do you use jikes?

Ah...

Under Windoze make is sloooowwwwwww....  (and configure scripts are
deathly slow)  Under Linux/*BSD/Solaris, it is damn fast.  The only
problem is Makefiles which compiles each .java files using javac
individually. A well-written Makefile will also compile everything in
one go (like Ant), along with Jikes this will finish before the JVM has
started on most platforms, IMHO.

(that is why I was thinking about writing an Ant xml to Makefile
converter)

Ross Burton