cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:55:10 GMT
Hi Stefano,

Cocoon sure can play a very important role there, but it has a lot to
evolve in that direction. The problem is still the lack of easy-to-use
visual design tools and all those bells and whistles.

Fact is, most of the web designers at my employer do not go that far
on text-editing HTML. Dreamweaver rules there. And I guess we are not
the only ones.

And the fact is that many really good designers in terms of graphic
look & style are not good at all on the more technical stuff. Still,
the look of a site is damn important and we can not waste the
contribution of those guys.

Now, XSLT is hard even for many designers that know HTML well. XSLT is
hard even for some programmers. And there is no good visual tool to
deal with it. I am not even going to start talking about other stuff.

On the other hand, open standards sell. So:
 - Maybe the big CMS sharks will start this whole "semantic" process
   using open standards like XML, XSLT, RDF and so on;
 - And maybe FrontPage and DreamWeaver will start doing some XSLT and
   even some RDF in order to work together with those CMSs;
 - And then, maybe Cocoon really spreads around because it will be a
   powerful and free open source CMS that uses those open standards
   too... which means that people will be able to use those future
   versions of Dreamweaver and FrontPage to cover the "visual design"
   need.

Imagine... M$ FrontPage easing the spread of Cocoon!
I am eager to see if that really happens.
=;o)

I really find it hard to believe that the big sharks will be able to
close the CMS market on proprietary standards. One reason is that the
credibility of most big CMSs is going trough a all time low.

Customers will demand open standards to have a way out when something
goes wrong. (Ok, they will be in deep sh*t anyway, but perception
rules.)

So, I am optimist.
=:o)

Have fun,