cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:29:27 GMT
I think Stefano is damn right.
*** That is the reason I keep lurking in this list. ***

Considering the currently available web design tools and my employer
commercial needs, I am using different technology to build our
publishing/CM system.

I am not even going to talk why I prefer other solutions now and what
I think to be good or bad in Cocoon. Except that "semantic searching"
is the potential key advantage of Cocoon.

In the future, XML based technologies are the way to go, mostly
because of "semantic searching".

Many people try to see it happening with a global standards
initiative. However, I agree that starting with a W3C imposed
standard is bound to fail. And the poor reception of RDF - outside
academic circles - is a sign of that.

But there are other ways. Especially the CMS way.

More and more organizations are using Web technologies to manage and
publish information. The more they do it the more they want to do it
in a systematic way. And that is why there is so much demand for CMS
(Content Management System).

Semantic Search is a precious feature of CMS. When you keep a large
amount of published content, you have to maintain both data and its
formatting. This means that you have to, not only create, but to
update and fix published data and layout - whish also implies that
you will have to search whatever data and layout instances you want
to update or fix.

The commercial evolution of CMSs will ensure the creation of tools
to search both instances of data and layout, even if that means the
use of layout (template) and data publishing mechanisms that are
easier to search/parse - as XSLT, XSQL and other XML derived
technologies. Analyzing structure (which RDF tries to help with)
comes next on the wish list.

At first, only the most advanced CM systems will include all these
features. Since standards openness has strong commercial advantages
(besides all the others), these features will probably be based on
standards like the above mentioned XML, XSLT, XHTML, RDF, etc.

Then, we will not have yet a "semantic web" but we will have a few
"semantic sites" - for those organizations that can pay those tools.

As CM systems and related tools get more popularized (it happens
with all technology) there will be more and more "semantic sites".

Maybe not all the "semantic sites" then will be built using full
fledged CMSs. However they will probably be built with versions of
Dreamweaver or FrontPage supporting XHTML, XML data publishing,
XSLT template design, RDF site description, etc.

Remember, tools like Dreamweaver and FrontPage will evolve to be
able to integrate with full fledged CM Systems - big customers -
or compete with them - in the smaller ones.

When these "semantic sites" reach a critical mass, that is when the
stronger global "semantic web" initiatives will start popping up -
maybe a whole new generation of search engines or a whole new
class of navigation tools.

And after those initiatives start popping up, that is when everybody
will try to jump into the Semantic Web wagon.

To me, this sounds quite reasonable.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar