cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: XML Thesis
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:10:02 GMT
al777551@mail.mty.itesm.mx wrote:
>Hi, I am new in the mailing list.
>
>I am studying my master degree in the "Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey
>y de Estudios Superiores" in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico.
>
>I have to write my thesis and I would like to be something related with
>XML, unfortunately I don't know much about it,

I suggest you read up on it then. Look at the FAQs for some starting points.

>I have been reading about
>Cocoon and I am very interest in participate in it, I would like you
>recommend
>me something work with and if I can help with the project and make my
>thesis
>it would be great.

For people who don't know much about C programming are ill-advised to try
working on the Linux kernel (I would think); likewise, people who don't know
much about XML maybe should learn more about XML before trying to rewrite
bits of Cocoon. Thus I suggest you should spend a few weeks if possible
making a significant, realistic website based around Cocoon (and maybe other
XML software) - you will learn a lot that way, especially if you come up
against problems that are not best addressed by Cocoon 1.8 but which are
being addressed in Cocoon 2 - and then maybe you can start working on the
Cocoon internals. Most development work is now focused on Cocoon2 but I
suggest you familiarise yourself with Cocoon 1 before you look at Cocoon 2.

Since this is a high-volume mailing list (and cocoon users even more so)
please don't post questions like "I don't know anything about Cocoon, please
explain it all to me", because that just irritates people, when there are
PLENTY of docs. Okay that's not exactly what you said, but... it came across
that way.