cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From 310026124542-0...@t-online.de (Mark Washeim)
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:52:17 GMT
on 10/12/00 4:40 PM, Matt Sergeant at matt@sergeant.org wrote:

>>> Oh, and you should say 6 years, not 10, for when companies ignored the
>>> web. Companies didn't even have the possibility of using the web 10 years
>>> ago (its almost shocking to think it was all that recent...).
>>
>> Why not? it was there. The first implementation dates 1989.
>
> It started off just being in Universities (anyone remember regularly
> checking wuarchive for new uploads?), back when there was more content on
> gopher. In October 1993 there were 200 known HTTP servers (cf
> http://www.w3.org/History.html). 1994 is when it really took off, IIRC. So
> I think 6 years is about right. Your history of the web may vary :-)

I concur with matt. I helped start an early Canadian ISP in 94. The telcos,
who quickly gobbled up much of the ISP pie didn't even grok what was up,
until a year later.

When Canada Connect Corporation (canuck.com) started, there where 4 small
companies operating in Alberta. None of them had more than a few hundred
users. The oldest among them was the largest bbs in the region.

There is no question that, until about 95, the vast majority of users where
scientists and pornographers :)

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.