cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brian May <...@snoopy.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: [C2] [Xalan2] 3 Issues so far.
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2000 00:03:38 GMT

    Stefano> Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
    >>
    >> We build distributions and the like with ant.  But for my personal
    >> development cycles, I still like make... it seems faster.  Maybe we just
    >> need to improve our ant file.

    Stefano> faster? are you kidding? ant is 10 times faster than make
    Stefano> on almost every system I found... what's the problem are
    Stefano> you having? does it recompile everything everytime? do
    Stefano> you use jikes?

I agree with this, Ant does seem faster. I think this might be because
Ant doesn't need to start a new copy of Java for every file
compiled... However, Ant doesn't seem to understand dependencies
between Java files, so you may not always see errors, when deleting a
public method you thought was unused, for instance. At least, thats my
experience, what should happen in theory might be different.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>