cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject TODO List so far
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:31:25 GMT
Hy all

Here is my todo list I've collected so far.

- SiLLy (Simple Logicsheet Language)
     Ricardo Rocha will soon release the work he has done so far
     concerning SiLLy to CVS. SiLLys concerns are helping XSP
     logicsheet writers with usual constructs to simplify the task
     of writing XSP taglib writing. An additional benefit of its
     use will be to generate consistent documentations out of it.

- Action-Chains (Sitemap Semantics)
     As the discussion with Peter Donald has brought up the need
     to chain Action has arised to fullfill application needs to
     chain general Actions together. General Actions are the one
     that are mostly needed in web app event handling (session
     validation, form validation, form data saving, etc.)

- Resource Aggregation
     Stefano has shown the need for internal Resource aggegation.
     Discussion is still going on AFAIK how this will be achieved.

- Status, Profiling
     Paul Russel has brought up a proposal how to obtain status
     and profiling information out of the sitemap and it's
     components. AFAIK discussion is still going on.

- TrAXTransformer
     Sean Timm offered to write the TrAXTransformer to generalize
     the use of XSL Transformation products.

- Cache Proposal
     There has been a discussion many weeks ago about this topic.
     We need to take up again to come to a conclusion. There has
     been some thought about that from Russ Burton IIRC.

- Avalon-Integration
     Berin Loritsch has IIRC already ported C2 to the new Avalon
     release. Again, many thanks.

- SitemapModelComponent
     Stefano pointed out that the use of the objectModel variable
     in the Environment is too loose coupled. Discussion has to go
     on about extending the Interface signatures from a "Map
     objectModel" to "HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response,
     Context context" to strength the contract between the
     components and the Environment.

- URLHandlerFactory
     The original proposal of the sitemap has used the notion of
     URL to all resources used by it (classes, sources, etc.). The
     absent of such a URLHandlerFactory and the fact that Javas
     own system is not suitable for a Servlet to use has arised
     the need of such a thing. Stefano pointed out that this is
     something Avalon has to design and develop. But this will
     take many weeks to be done, so we might discuss having an
     alternative or stay with the system we have today.

- Documentation
     Yes!

- Sequence of object initialisation
     I've seen that the sequence how objects are initialized after
     instantiation is not consequently respected. AFAIK there is
     no written guide line from the Avalon project how this has to
     be done. Federico stated in a discussion I had in the Avalon
     list that the sequence should be "from inner to outer". This
     means that a component should get it's configuration first
     and the component manager after it (we do not use any other
     interfaces from the Avalon project so far to initialize
     Components). Also, Peter (on the Avalon list) has told me the
     exact opposite (more or less). This tells me that *we* have
     to agree on a sequence how this has to be happened and
     control the code base to ensure that behaviour.

- Sitemap Management Tool

- Matcher/Action return type
     Jon Stevens, project manager of the Turbine project,
     mentioned to change the object type a Matcher/Action returns
     to the sitemap engine from List to Map to be able to refer
     those stings by name instead of numbers. This will not change
     the behaviour of the Wildcard- and RegexpMatcher because
     multiple Wildcards/Regexps are easily remembered as positions
     in the pattern but other Matchers/Actions might not behave
     like the former and it is not recognizable out of the pattern
     and thus might be better addressed with names as with
     positions. Please comment and vote on this issue.

- Moving sitemap component to cocoon.xconf
     Peter Donald (Avalon) mentioned recently to move the
     <map:components> section from the sitemap.xmap to the
     cocoon.xconf file. This indeed would reduce the verbosity of
     the sitemap but also will introduce some restrictions to the
     design we have today. One restriction is that the concept of
     the CodeFactory (direct integration of java code during the
     sitemap generation stage) will not be possible anymore. Also
     if someone uses many "custom" components to build up his URI
     part its not been seen in "his" sitemap and the responsable
     person of the cocoon.xconf file (usually a sysadmin) will
     have to be contacted if new sitemap components have to be
     integrated. Please discuss this as well.

So far these are the items I've collected during my break and the ApacheCon. I
know there might be others issues which are not listed above, so please stand up
and bring it into this discussion.

After we have collected all of them we will have to prioritize them and
categorize them to state which will be suitable for Beta 1.

Ok, let's start it.

Giacomo

                                          Web:   http://www.pwr.ch