cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TagLib requires new Jars
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:51:21 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> >>If I were to add this new TagLib to Cocoon Dist, I would also have to add
> >>two new Jars (mail.jar and activation.jar) from  Sun to Cocoon, so that it
> >>can still compile.
> >>
> >>Is this acceptable, or is there another approach that people would prefer?
> >
> >It's not acceptable because Stefano reported that the Apache PMC decided
> >that only Apache-licensed files would be allowed in CVS.

No, this is not correct. We ruled that all binaries that are compatible
with the APL are fine, only viral (GPL) or semi-viral (LGPL) are not
allowed.

For source code maintained and copyrighted by the ASF, only APL is
allowed.

> >But you can make
> >the taglib just like the XT processor and the FESI DCP module - optional at
> >build stage - see build.xml.
>
> I am not sure how far reaching an effect this has had. No source is allowed
> in CVS that is not APL and copyright Apache but binary modules are fine (as
> long as they are free to distribute). If not you wouldn't be allowed to
> include half the libs that are in the various projects.

Correct.

> The only valid restrictions I have seen is with regard to security related
> stuff as the server is located in US. However with the laws recently
> changed it would even be legal to distribute some (if not all) security
> orientated libs.

Not only this: Sun clearly states that you cannot export their libraries
in countries such as Cuba, Syria, Iraq and so on... but there is no way
we can enforce this. So, in this respect, Turbine is illegal.

The best paradigm is always to let users download their own stuff from
Sun... the only thing we can do is automate this by Ant.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.