cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: XML Compilation
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:46:19 GMT
Conny Krappatsch wrote:

> Hi Stefano,
>
> is that what you and Falko where talking about? (He told me!)

Yes, I think I mentioned this when we met.

> Our approach is almost the same. Using some sort of serialization we create
> streamlike data out of XML data (DOM or SAX) for transfer between server
> and client.

Ok

> Depending on XML data size this may happen in multiple steps to reduce memory
> consumption . The client initializes a new retrieval, asks for a chunk of data,
> creates what ever it wants to create (DOM or SAX), asks for the next chunk and
> so on (client has to ask, because server can't be the active part). Storage is
> similar (still the client is the active one and sends data chunks).
>
> Do you see any possibility to integrate our 'chunk approach' and your 'stream
> solution'?

Maybe, but my CXML uses an auto-dictionary approach (inspired from the
lempel-zip compression algorithms) that performs better on medium size
chunks (10-50Kb) and it's not speed optimized for compilation but for
reading.

Anyway, I agree this is something worth considering, even if will
require more though.

> BTW, i would suggest to add the possibility to transfer/store comments (and
> maybe some other XML constructs (CDATA ?), though the SAX ContentHandler doesn't
> provide information about it - ultimately LexicalHandler will).

Yeah, well, it is only a test to prove how successful the concept is
(and I was indeed surprised to see speed improving 4-times fold by
simply using the string pool and avoid creating strings).

So, yes, there is no problem in adding more SAX events to the thing
without even slowing it down... it's actually very easy to do with the
code I wrote since the encoding semantics are separated from the SAX
consumption, you just have to replicate the encoding on the input/output
streams.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.