cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:32:56 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:42:49PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > However I would love a list to bounce around random ideas and see where
> > they end up ;). Not sure what the charter for such a group would be - but
> > as I guess most would be re: web stuff so ??? ;)
>
> Depends on what the ideas are, I suppose. Most of mine concern
> what replaces the web as it stands at the moment, and most of
> stefanos seem to be along similar lines (although they take a
> different tack). I just want to get some of these things out
> into the open so that people who I trust to work in the best
> interests of everyone can build the architecture to support it
> without it being controlled by one company.
>
> The irony in all this is that I'm your architypical capitalist -
> I own a company for crying out loud. What I can't work out is
> why the other companies think the only way to make money is as a
> monopoly, rather than just by being the best.

Because a monopoly is easier to manage, easier to protect and lasts
longer :)

But don't worry: as long as Apache remains the leader provider of web
technologies, the web will remain as it is today.

We just have to make sure that corporations don't pollute us from the
inside or use us for their political games, and we keep innovating and
proposing alternative solutions as a whole group.

Yes, patents might prevent this from happening, but the US patent system
has been changed to allow individuals to submit evidences of previous
technology for 3 months... and a world-wide mirrored softare and mail
messages are very solid legal evidences of prior art.

So, let's keep up the good work on software here and compete on services
out there :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.