cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C1] contrib directory
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:46:49 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> Sorry to rehash this, but yet another user-supplied logicsheet for Cocoon 1
> has been announced on cocoon-users (hooray!) - there are now quite a number
> of such external logicsheets not included in the distro. I can't remember
> what was decided, if anything about these, because Donald's logicsheet was
> in contrib, but it was moved to the "core".

> (1) - Put everything in the core distribution. But I don't want to have to
> test it all, and it would be bad to include any old junk without testing it
> first.

agreed

> (2) - Put them in a contrib directory in CVS but make it clear they _may_ be
> flaky; move them into the main distro if and when they are reasonably
> "proven".

not bad

> (3) - Links only in the documentation (this would have to be done anyway in
> cases where contributors weren't willing to "sign" copyright away to the ASF
> and release it under the cocoon license, I think).

yes, absolutely.

> Again make it clear that
> "these are not maintained by the Cocoon project and we offer no guarantees"
> etc. I'm happy to do this right away if (1) or (2) are not agreed upon.

Here is the pseudopolicy I would suggest:

 if (code is licensed under the APL)
                 AND
    (code is about an open standard/API) {
        goto 2)
 } else {
        goto 3)
 }

then, propose a move from 2) to 1) when an active developer feels like
it.

How does it sound?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.