cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:47:15 GMT
Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> I think Stefano is damn right.
> *** That is the reason I keep lurking in this list. ***
>
> Considering the currently available web design tools and my employer
> commercial needs, I am using different technology to build our
> publishing/CM system.
>
> I am not even going to talk why I prefer other solutions now and what
> I think to be good or bad in Cocoon. Except that "semantic searching"
> is the potential key advantage of Cocoon.
>
> In the future, XML based technologies are the way to go, mostly
> because of "semantic searching".
>
> Many people try to see it happening with a global standards
> initiative. However, I agree that starting with a W3C imposed
> standard is bound to fail. And the poor reception of RDF - outside
> academic circles - is a sign of that.
>
> But there are other ways. Especially the CMS way.
>
> More and more organizations are using Web technologies to manage and
> publish information. The more they do it the more they want to do it
> in a systematic way. And that is why there is so much demand for CMS
> (Content Management System).
>
> Semantic Search is a precious feature of CMS. When you keep a large
> amount of published content, you have to maintain both data and its
> formatting. This means that you have to, not only create, but to
> update and fix published data and layout - whish also implies that
> you will have to search whatever data and layout instances you want
> to update or fix.
>
> The commercial evolution of CMSs will ensure the creation of tools
> to search both instances of data and layout, even if that means the
> use of layout (template) and data publishing mechanisms that are
> easier to search/parse - as XSLT, XSQL and other XML derived
> technologies. Analyzing structure (which RDF tries to help with)
> comes next on the wish list.
>
> At first, only the most advanced CM systems will include all these
> features. Since standards openness has strong commercial advantages
> (besides all the others), these features will probably be based on
> standards like the above mentioned XML, XSLT, XHTML, RDF, etc.
>
> Then, we will not have yet a "semantic web" but we will have a few
> "semantic sites" - for those organizations that can pay those tools.
>
> As CM systems and related tools get more popularized (it happens
> with all technology) there will be more and more "semantic sites".
>
> Maybe not all the "semantic sites" then will be built using full
> fledged CMSs. However they will probably be built with versions of
> Dreamweaver or FrontPage supporting XHTML, XML data publishing,
> XSLT template design, RDF site description, etc.
>
> Remember, tools like Dreamweaver and FrontPage will evolve to be
> able to integrate with full fledged CM Systems - big customers -
> or compete with them - in the smaller ones.
>
> When these "semantic sites" reach a critical mass, that is when the
> stronger global "semantic web" initiatives will start popping up -
> [...]

Paulo,

we are in deep resonation and I think it's great.

I also hope this project can use this vision to pave the yellow brick
road so that no commercial company becomes the owner of this semantic
web.

Imagine a world where a commercial company XXX has 80% of the market for
these "semantic sites": it would take two seconds for big companies that
own the web client side (browsers) to buy them and make a parallel
"semantic browsing experience" proprietary... possibly polluting the
HTTP protocol and locking in proprietary extensions.

So, please, add this to your vision: not only Cocoon is based on open
standards, but it's developped in the open and everybody can have it for
free and power their systems with it without having to pay a "semantic
web tax" to a particular commercial company.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.